If caught flytipping your rubbish you could get a fine of up to £50,000 and/or a prison term of up to 5 years. Oxfordshire councils work hard to reduce fly tipping through enforcement action, CCTV and education, and in the last 5 years the number of fly-tips in Oxfordshire has dropped by over 50%. This has helped save local councils over £175,000 in clean-up costs.

While this is good news, fly-tipping still exists across Oxfordshire, spoiling our beautiful county, creating a hazard for wildlife and costing hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Where fly-tipping is still a problem, the rubbish is often household rubbish that rogue traders have taken and then later dumped instead of disposing of properly.

Recycling bring bank sites, located on housing estates or supermarket car parks, are often popular spots for fly tipping and Oxfordshire councils spend over £100,000 per year clearing up waste tipped on the floor at these sites. If the bins are full please take your waste home with you and report it to the relevant district council on the numbers further down the page.

How you can help

If someone else offers to take your rubbish away to get rid of, whether you pay them or not, you need to make sure you know where it’s going and that the person taking it away has a licence to carry waste. You can check that they have a Waste Carrier’s Licence on the Government's website.

If your rubbish ends up being fly-tipped you could end up being interviewed under caution and later prosecuted. If you take down a few basic details you could help with any potential fly-tipping investigation, and help to show you complied with the law.

  • Ask to see their Waste Carrier’s Licence, which is issued by the Government
  • Write down details of the waste they are taking, or even better take a photograph
  • Take down the vehicle details, including the registration number
  • If you pay them, get a receipt and check that their details are on it

Don't forget that most household waste can be disposed of at your local Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) free of charge. Visit Oxfordshire County Council's HWRC web pages for more information. Your local district council will also collect bulky waste from your home (there may be a small charge for this).

To report fly tipping contact the relevant district council below: